Wednesday, August 29, 2018

It's not a Raspberry Pi

I finally had a reason to order a raspberry pi. I'd finally got my first Hi-Fi system and I wanted to make a small HTPC to stream bluetooth, do some audio filtering and various other tasks. I was going to try it with a pi zero-w but decided if I go for the full pi 3 b I might be able to also use it as hardware for the FOGC.

But...

Basically I spent a long time configuring it, playing with bluetooth etc, and in the end had to scrap it. The one game I thought I could run on it, it turns out requires hardware acceleration libraries that the pi does not support. Sigh.  All the other purposes I'd bought it for didn't pan out either. The bluetooth audio was not clear.

I spent a lot of time researching and trying different things, but most of the literature is focused on emulators for gaming or dedicated devices for audio. Too much time spent with nothing to show. If I still proceed with this project it will need something more than a pi. But now I'm going to use it for a zynthian, so all's well that ends well.

No comments:

Post a Comment